Monday, December 11, 2017

Spectrum DNS Servers

I recently discovered that Spectrum is totally incompetent when it comes to DNS servers.

My ISP is Spectrum, and recent speed tests showed I'm getting over 100mps, which is great. But I kept getting random and intermittent drops when connecting over the internet. At first I thought it was the website I was trying to reach, but my mom, also was experiencing similar problems with unrelated sites, and more severely.

I stumbled upon the idea of checking my DNS configuration--and sure enough both mine and my mom's were using servers managed by Spectrum. I changed them to using Google servers (8.8.8.8 for primary, 8.8.4.4 for secondary) and just like that our problems went away.

Which leaves me to wonder why Spectrum even bothers with a DNS server. The nature of this problem can be difficult to diagnose for a non-technical person, and Spectrum's support center is unlikely to consider checking these servers as the source of the problem - - leaving their customers nothing more than pissed at them.

But anyway, if Spectrum is your ISP, I'd recommend you change the DNS servers you use and avoid the headaches of Spectrum's incompetence. A simple Google search will help you if you don't know how to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment