Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Windows 7 Streaming Media--resolution

Okay--I think I jumped the gun a bit.

Researching things, it looked like I should be able to run Windows Media Center and stream the TV data pretty easily.

But I couldn't get it to work, because I couldn't get that stupid "Turn on Media Streaming" button to work.  I tried everything recommended in all the Google search, and nothing worked.

But I finally found the solution, and it was about as stupid as it gets.  Why no one thought to recommend trying this first, I'll never know.

Solution: Run Windows Media Player as an Administrator.  Then select the "Streaming" and "Turn on streaming" selections.  Make sure you had the Network and Sharing Center closed before you started.  The button should work now.

All the other recommendations sounded crazy and nuts--like WMC and WMP simply got hosed up somehow.  But starting as an administrator makes sense--but it would have been nice if Microsoft was smart enough to have realized this necessity, or that their code was bugged and not properly identifying the need to run as administrator.  Yes--this is a bug that seems relatively common and yes--this is Microsoft's screw-up.

Okay--unless something new pops up--then my media streaming project is complete--I didn't really want to do this anyhow as it felt like I was reinventing the wheel.

No comments:

Post a Comment